It’s not only Friday the 13th, it’s Full Moon too. Apparently, the next time there will be a Full Moon on a Friday the 13th, will be in the year 2049.
I don’t have Triskaidekaphobia (Fear of Friday the 13th) and I’m a big believer that you create your own happiness, thought processes and general well being. So if you think you’re going to have a bad, unlucky day – guess what?
When I was in Primary School I had to do a speech on the topic Superstitions. My dad and I researched the topic, I learned so much and delivered a really funny speech (thanks for the help dad – he has one of the best sense of humours.)
I have never forgotten some of the superstitions and some of them have sort of stuck. I still don’t believe anything bad will ever happen, however, I can’t help but think of them from time to time when scenarios arise.
Some of these you may know and some may be new, but here are a few superstitions:
1. When a bra strap falls down or underwear slips, it means a loved one is thinking of you.
2. If I spill salt, I always take a pinch in my right hand and throw it over my left shoulder for good luck and protection.
3. If a bird poops on you, it’s supposedly lucky. I’ve had that happen to me once (mortified) and to be honest I can’t remember if anything lucky happened, but I remember that the thought of good luck made it slightly OK.
4. If a black cat crosses your path it’s bad news (unless you look at that cat and mentally or verbally say: “No!” As if that “no” suddenly dissolves any bad luck. Silly, I know.)
5. Counting Crows – not the band, but the birds. One is bad, two is luck, three is health, four is wealth, five is sickness and six is death. Morbid, I know.
6. Crossing fingers for luck.
7. Opening an umbrella indoors is asking for bad luck to “rain” on you. I avoid it.
8. Lucky rabbits foot. I’ve never seen one, nor do I want to and quite frankly I just think it’s unlucky for the poor bunny.
9. Knock on Wood. I still do this after a hopeful statement or if someone says something that you don’t want to happen or come true.
10. Breaking a mirror brings you 7 years of bad luck. I don’t believe in that and I hope it isn’t true because I broke my compact mirror the other day.
11. Itchy palms. I never remember which is which, so I looked it up. If the right palm itches, you will come into money and if the left one itches, you’ll lose money.
12. Don’t walk under a ladder as it brings bad luck. The reality is I’m not going to not enter a building if there is a ladder there and it’s the only way in, but if I can avoid walking under it, I do.
13. Bad luck comes in threes. I often wonder if this is something I bring on. If I hurt myself, I tend to do it three times over. The same goes for breaking things. Weird.
14. Wishing upon a shooting star or the first star you see at night.
15. Make a wish on a wishbone. I haven’t done this in ages. My sister and I would pick all the chicken from the chicken wishbone and then hold each side in our pinky fingers, make a wish (16. you never say your wish out loud or it won’t come true – another superstition) and pull. The person who had the longest piece has their wish come true.
17. It’s bad luck to cross your knife and fork on the plate. Rather place them side to side.
18. If you drop a knife on the floor, you should expect a male visitor and if you drop a fork, expect a female visitor.
19. Never leave shoes on a table as it brings bad luck.
20. I am very superstitious about giving a watch or time piece as a gift. I will never ever do it. No matter how silly this is, it’s just one of those things. I believe that if you give a gift of time, you make the time of a friendship or relationship run out. Sorry, friends and loved ones, you won’t be getting a watch from me. Ever.
21. My dad taught me that if you give a knife as gift, that person must give you a coin back so that your friendship isn’t ruined. I remember coming back from Switzerland and giving my friends Swiss Army Knives. I made them all give me a coin, like a 5c or 10c piece for it.
22. When you give a wallet, purse or bag as a gift, you should put money inside. Giving it empty causes financial problems.
23. When toasting a drink always look the person in the eyes or it’s 7 years of bad sex.
Happy Friday the 13th. Enjoy the Full Moon and just remember what you believe is probably what will come true, so think only positive, happy thoughts.