Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge experience

On Cycle Challenge Sunday, the 21st of November I woke up, got into my Lead SA kit, packed my energy bars, Energades and waters, packed the incredible KTM Bike I was given to ride into the car and set off for the Waterfall Country Estate.

 Derek Alberts (Sports Presenter), Terry Volkwyn (CEO, Primedia) and Bailey Schneider

I hadn’t done a stitch of training for the race, so I knew I wasn’t going to finish it. I was going in with the attitude that I would attempt it and I would have fun a long the way. I wasn’t going to put any pressure on myself and I would listen to my body. When enough was enough, I would bow out gracefully.

Well, that was the aim…

I arrived at 7am and my start time was 07:58. Unpacked my bike and then looked around to see where I needed to go in order to get the start. I couldn’t see another cyclist so I asked security.

They sent me on a goose chase. I got so lost and by default I ended up doing the Mountain Bike Challenge. Ha ha.

I actually got a little paranoid at one stage. I had no cell phone signal and was in the middle of the velt. I had no idea where I was going and started to feel unsafe. I picked my bike up, felt paranoid and ran back the way I had come. I didn’t realize how far I’d gone because it took me a while to get back.

By the time I got back to my car, I was really annoyed and when I finally figured out where to go, I was racing against time. Pun intended.

I got to the start, but my group had already gone. I was supposed to be riding with my colleagues and friends Derek Alberts and Marc Lewis. That was going to be half the fun…

I started the race in a new group and set off. I guess my mental state wasn’t in the race at all…. Everything had gone wrong. I wasn’t racing with my friends anymore and I decided to rather be responsible and not continue further. It was supposed to be for fun and also was not supposed to kill little untrained me.

On the way back … I was wheeling my bike to the car when someone knocked into me and my metal bike pedal stabbed into my ankle. It started bleeding profusely, but I didn’t think too much about it. I did go to the paramedics who cleaned me up and said I’d need to go to a hospital for a Tetanus Injection. *sigh*

By the time I actually managed to go, I was in agony … I could hardly put any pressure on my foot and I had to be wheeled in to Life Hospital, Fourways.

Who knew that a little puncture wound could cause so much damage. It was like a stab wound, and I had damaged some ligaments. So a Tetanus injection and injection for the pain later, they wanted to put my leg in a back slab so that I wouldn’t be able to walk on it. I refused. They bandaged my leg up instead and I hobbled on crutches out of the hospital.

The doctor said I wouldn’t walk or drive for a week or two. I like to think I’m like Claire Bennet from the TV series Heroes and heal lightening fast. Mind over matter.

It is now Friday 26th (5 days later) … I am driving and walking *in heels* 🙂

Glad to be mobile again.

I have the utmost respect for all the cyclists who attempted and completed the Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge! CONGRATS!!

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

No Comments

Leave a Reply