Coconut water is all the rage, as is coconut oil and I couldn’t be happier.
I’ve also realised that there is no fence sitting with coconut water.
You either like it or you don’t.
I am thrilled that I love it.
Sox and I may have depleted Zanzibar’s stock of fresh coconuts during our stay on the island, in 2013, and I’m not even kidding.
When we came back, we kept dreaming about those fresh coconuts being cut open by a giant machete, popping straws inside and drinking the deliciousness with our toes in the warm water.
When we came back from our trip, I was thrilled to see coconut water on the shelves and now there seem to be so many different brands popping up.
Thing is, they might all say they’re pure and have no sugar, but if they taste overly sweet, guess what… it’s not as natural as they claim, which honestly, pisses me off when I’m trying to eliminate sugar from my lifestyle.
I’ve done my research and my personal favourite coconut water is Coco Zone. I’ve discovered that it doesn’t always taste exactly the same (but it’s consistently delicious), which is actually a good sign that it’s 100% natural. No coconut is exactly the same in taste…similar yes, but not continuously perfect in taste. It shouldn’t taste synthetic either.
Coco Zone is pure coconut water. It’s not from a concentrate, it hasn’t been boiled, it’s 100% pure.
There are no preservatives, no sugar added – the sugar in it is 2,2g of the coconuts natural sugar in 100ml.
I also love that it doesn’t come in a tin and comes in a recyclable tetra pak. It makes it easier to carry in my handbag too.
The benefits are amazing… ready? Here goes:
- It’s 3x more hydrating than water. That’s not to say you should swop out your water, but it’s good to know when you need to rehydrate yourself, since coconut water is the purest liquid second to water.
- Cocozone has 5 essential electrolytes: sodium, calcium, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus working together to help your body perform at its best.
- It’s a great source of energy. CocoZone is a natural source of potassium and contains more per serving than two small bananas. I particularly love it after a work out or in the afternoon as it perks me up completely. I once made the mistake of drinking one at night and I couldn’t fall asleep… Not even red bull does that to me.
- It boosts the immune system
- Improves blood circulation.
- Helps to lower blood pressure.
- Counteracts hypertension.
- Reduces swelling in hands and feet, making it perfect for consumption during air travel.
- Rehydrates the body and replenishes lost nutrients and electrolytes – especially in sickness or if you’re hungover.
- Improves overall functioning of key bodily functions, like digestion.
- Regulates blood sugar levels especially beneficial to diabetics.
- Possesses anti-aging properties, which improves the health and appearance of skin.
My fridge is always stocked up. I love drinking it as is, cooking with it, adding it to smoothies, turning them into ice-lollies and even using it in my beauty routine – new blog post coming soon.